Thursday 14 March 2013

Udaipur day 1

Morning, we walked through the old town towards the palace; for such a spectacular city, it's odd how the locals take most pride from the fact that it featured in "Octopussy" - most restaurants honestly have a nightly showing. We touristed the fantastic city palace, to which Ben Patel is the heir (see photo...); due to absurd ticket/camera prices, I took a load of sneaky iPhone snaps - appreciate the views over lake pichola, and my abstention from Instagram.

In the afternoon we visited the acclaimed vintage car collection - wasn't a good sign that the guide was more excited by the free mango juice. Rightly so - there were some sweet cars, but they simply made us homesick. Jokes aside, there was a worrying amount of rust in their description of "vintage".

Afterwards, we visited the Bagore-ki-haveli, a truly bizarre museum set in a restored "haveli": we entered puppet land, featuring a puppet version of the royal court and a boy who evidently rarely spoke to real humans (although he was ace, and let Lissy Jiggle His Puppets); we admired the largest turban on earth, and I finally acknowledged I'd look a goon if I pursued my dream of wearing a turban; finally, there was a collection of world monuments (Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal) made of polystyrene. Just baffling.

Lissy got a nose piercing, and I a place at Edinburgh uni - I considered a celebratory nipple piercing, but settled for a milkshake instead.

In the evening we ate at the Jagat Niwas hotel, an awesome restored haveli; unfortunately we had the fortune of being sat in the sought-after window seat, necessitating crossed legs - having the gangliness of a baby giraffe, this proved phenomenally awkward for me. Mum stayed here on her travels when she was my age - no more chat to be had about budgeting.

With love





















No comments:

Post a Comment